23 de jan. de 2011

More Than a Soldier, Less Than a Man - Chapter 0: Prologue

I´ve never been so scared in my intere life. Shots, explosions, blood, dead bodies... I could never imagine such a despicable scene before. Now I don´t know if I will ever be able to forget it...

All my companions are already dead. Right now I am hiding behind a broken wall, waiting for death to come for me. The weapon that I´m holding was from a dead soldier whose body lies a few meters away from where I am now, and it seems to be empty of bullets. Unfortunally, my body is paralized from fear and I can´t move a single finger. Trying to look for another weapon or some bullets is just impossible.

Actually, If I could move, I would ran away. With all my might. Never to look back.

But I can´t. I´m a freaking coward. All my comrades died fighting these bastards, and I couldn´t save anyone... I just watched they all being shot while hiding... Just as a good coward would do.

I just want to go home... I don´t want to kill anybody... I don´t want to shoot anybody.. I don´t want to battle anymore... I don´t want to die here...

So I waited. And waited. And waited more. As each second passed by, the darkness of the night engulfed all the lights and sufocated all the sounds that surrounded me. When I came to myself, It was morning and the battle had already ended.

The enemy had won. I could hear them coming into my direction with those heavy boots. They would soon notice that I was the last one alive.

My heart starded beating like crazy. The sound of my heartbeats was so loud that I thought they could hear it. But I wasn´t afraid anymore.

Instead, I looked around for some weapon and found someone´s arm, covered in dryed blood, holding a grenade. With no time to think and nothing to lose, I took the grenade, pulled the pin and threw it.

Honestly, I wasn´t expecting anything to happen. I didn´t even think that it would hit them. But it did. Perfectly. I could hear they screaming, I could hear they cursing their destiny in another language, and I could hear them dying

And after doing so, I cryed. Out loud, with everything I´ve got. For my dead companions, for my distant family, for those dead soldiers and for myself. I cryed with all my might, thinking that the enemys would soon appear and kill me too.

But they didn´t. So I just stayed there, crying trough the whole morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After a battle, the soldier who lost an arm will cry, sleep and return to his home. But the soldier who took an arm won´t cry, won´t sleep and will never be the same again. The same for lifes."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário